Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Celebrating our Authors

Tonight was an evening of celebration.  This was our first year implementing writing workshop and this class showed me the power of this approach to writing.  As I reflect back on the year, I think about all that I would have missed if I continued to traditionally teach writing.  In the past I would teach a concept and assign every student the identical writing assignment.  Now, I teach a mini-lesson and allow the kids to be authors.  It is amazing what they have produced!  I am so very proud of each and every student.
Students spent the past two weeks "publishing" a book they had written this year.  We learned about revision, editing, and layout.  This evening we celebrated our published books and our writing portfolios with a pizza party.  Thank you to all of our amazing families!   Tonight would not have been possible without your support and dedication to your child's education .

0 comments:

Post a Comment