Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Each January, I read aloud Mr. Popper's Penguins as we study Penguins and other arctic animals.  It is a favorite among first graders. It is a classic, written in 1938 by Richard and Florence Atwater. The students just love the story.  When I heard about the movie I was so excited.  We learned that it was "loosely" based on the book. Even though we knew it would not be like the story, the students and I decided to take a summer "field trip."  So on Tuesday, I met all the families that were able to attend to watch the newly released film. 



Let me tell you, it was a hit! I think I was laughing more at the students laughing than the film. I believe the children would give the film five stars.  It was great! They did a great job turning the classic into a more modern tale. I definately recommend taking the entire family.


It was great to see the children. I know we have only been out for three weeks, but it seems like much longer. The children are enjoying their summer by swimming, particpating in camps, and traveling.

Have a great weekend!  Happy Fourth of July!!

2 comments:

Little Priorities said...

I thought the film was cute. I also used to read this aloud to my class but haven't recently. Maybe I'll need to pick it up again!

www.littlepriorities.blogspot.com

Dana said...

I met four of my students and their families on the Saturday that the movie came out. The students had only been out of school for three days at that point. We had so much fun!!

"I think I was laughing more at the students laughing than the film."

I totally agree with this! The really enjoyed the movie and I think they had fun seeing me somewhere other than school!

Post a Comment