Friday, March 4, 2011

Our Week in Review

Well my computer with all the cute graphics, photos, and documents is down AGAIN.  So, no newsletter.   Here is our week in review.

It was all things Seuss this week.    Dr. Seuss can teach us so much.   My two previous posts below tell how we began our week with Dr. Seuss. 

Here is our AMAZING bulletin board celebrating Dr. Seuss.  Thank you Mrs. H!



In Reading, students worked with Dr. Seuss reader's theater scripts.  We used The Foot Book to review Antonyms.  We were inspired by Cara from The First Grade Parade for the antonym lesson. Students created Antonym books. 






On Thursday, our Theme lesson focus was Horton Hatches an Egg.


  "I meant what I said and I said what I meant.  An elephant's faithful one hundred percent!"  As a class we discussed the meaning of faithful.  Students wrote about what they believed faithful meant.  We also read The Sneetches.  Both of these books helped tie together our Anti-Bully focus from last week.

Today's Dr. Seuss lesson is my favorite.  We are making Oobleck!  Oobleck?  Yes, Oobleck!  It goes with the book...

I will post pictures this weekend of us making Oobleck.  Students will be bringing home some this afternoon.

In math we have finished our first session of Unit 6.  Students continued to focus on combinations of 10 with a variety of games and on Thursday we explored all the ways to make 10.  Today we are begining Crayon Puzzles.  It is like our peas and carrots lessons and our apples and bananas lessons from earlier in the year.  I have 12 Crayons, some are blue, some are red. How many can I have of each?  This will continue next week.

Our BIG event of the week was COSI!  The focus was local animals and the habitats around Ohio.  Thank to all the parent volunteers who spent all day working at the stations.  The students LOVED it!


                                                  Exploring how animals are tracked in Ohio.


Exploring Animal Antlers.


Learning about fishing in Ohio.  Thanks to our Math program, we knew a little about keepers.

Wow! We had a busy week!  And I am very excited about our next two weeks...stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment