The First Day of School! I cannot wait until their smiling faces walk through the door! The room is ready, the message is written, and the day planned. Our year of learning is about to begin. The first six weeks of school are about building community, teaching routines, and establishing expectations. Here are our goals for this week:
1. "Students and teachers will know each other's names."
2. Students will begin to learn about their classmates interests.
3. Students will learn the following routines:
arrival, morning meeting, lunch, transitions, quiet signals, lining up, bathroom, recess, clean-up, dismissal
4. "Students and teachers will name and share their hopes and dreams for the school year."
5. Students will learn how to work with the tools in our classroom.
6. Students will share work created with the class.
7. Work of the students will be displayed around the classroom.
These goals come from the book The First Six Weeks of School, by Paula Denton and Roxann Kriete.