Saturday, December 17, 2011

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

So, I think this is my favorite class photo EVER! I laughed so hard when I was going through the Grinch Day photos. These are our "Grinch" faces. Hahahaha! I think knowing the children makes it so funny. You have the children who could never make a mean face, the ones who really were trying, and the ones who may be actors when they grow up. I love it! Now I wish I would have taken individual photos of Grinch faces.

We came dressed in green to celebrate the day. Except my two precious Cindy Lou Whos.

 Our lessons on Friday were centered about one of my favorite books of all time, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The children enjoyed completing activities centered around this classic Dr. Seuss character. Check out what we did...

We made words with the letters in "Grinch."

We learned about adjectives.



After our adjective lesson, students did a comparison writing. They wrote about Grinch in the beginning of the story, then what he was like at the end. I will post more photos next week when I post our December wrap-up.


After lunch, we made Grinches and wrote how we would make the Grinch grin.We are not quite done with these.

Then, my favorite activity of the day...Who Knew? Grinch rhyming with Mrs. Rausch's class. We Skyped Mrs. Rausch's class from Mulberry Elementary. They were having Grinch Day too! So, we completed a rhyming activity together.

They were all in green too!
 
We began by matching the first rhyming word.


This student is showing Mrs. Rausch's class the rhyming word match.

A student in Mrs. Rausch's class showed us the word that rhymes with "bow."
 
It was great fun! We hope to do another activity together next month!
We ended the day by watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas with the whole first grade.


"Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! Maybe Christmas, he thought, Doesn't come from a store. Maybe...Christmas... perhaps means a little bit more!"

1 comments:

Amy Rider said...

Sounds like your students had a really fun Grinch Day!!! I *love* the Grinch picture too!!! Sooooo funny!

Post a Comment